Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Screencasts

I've participated in my fair share of webinars using screencasts, as I imagine most of you educators have. They are super handy, especially for us visual learners. Just show me the steps and I've got it. 
I played around with two screencast websites. Screencast-o-matic and Screenr.
I LOVED Screencast-O-Matic. It was super easy to use and super easy to upload. Plus it gave me several options at the end for uploading. I could upload it to the screencast-o-matic website or to youtube. 
I made a screencast using screencast-o-matic for students. Every student in ASD (Anchorage School District) has a Google Doc account, but very few, in elementary, use it. I love it personally, and I'd love to introduce my students to it this year. Fourth grade isn't too young is it? I walked them step by step to logging on to their Google Doc account, and briefly showed how to create and share a document. 



Screenr gave me such a headache. I had issues with java. My computer wanted to block screenr and only after lots of trial and error did I get it to work. I'm trying to not let that affect how I feel about using this program, but it's difficult. I made a screencast for students. I showed them how to create an avatar or custom character to use in their comics. I have to say, that the 5 minute time limit on both of these websites is difficult to stick to! I never realized how fast 5 minutes is, or how long winded I can be!


I can see the amazing benefits of screencasting for students and parents and educators. I can show students how to navigate the many websites I hope to use during the school year, so they can access them from home, I can show parents how to log on and check their child's grades, and I can show other educators how to use some super cool websites. I LOVE SCREENCASTS! 

Hopefully this blog will take off (hint hint follow me!) and what I blog will be of use to someone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment